GENERAL APPEARANCE - 15 POINTS
- Shape: symmetrical, slight shrinkage
- Colour: even, golden brown, no burnt edge
- Attractive: edging
CRUST - 35 POINTS
- Medium thickness, flaky, tender, well baked not soggy
FILLING - 35 POINTS
- Depth of filling should be in proportion to depth of crust (approx. ¾ full)
- Consistency of filling should be adequate to hold shape when served
MERINGUE - 15 POINTS
- Appearance: golden brown, no bleeding or weeping
- Texture: tender, easily cut without pulling
- Depth: medium thickness, not less than 1”
- Arrangement – in peaks and should touch the sides of the crust
Official Placings & Reasons
Official Placing: 2 - 4 - 3 - 1
Cuts: 1 - 1 - 2
I place this class of lemon meringue pies 2,4,3,1.
I placed 2 first as it is pleasing to look at. There is a nice amount of filling and it is well set. The meringue has nice peaks, evenly browned on top and spread to the edges, and the crust looks cooked and even.
I placed 4 over 3 as it is still a nice looking pie. The ratio of filling to meringue is good, Meringue is mostly browned with a good attempt at decorative peaking. The crust is not quite as even as #2.
I placed 3 over 1 as there is still a decent amount of filling and it is nicely set. Meringue is nicely browned but could be tidier and there is a small amount of beading on top. The pie crust is also a little uneven.
I placed 1 at the bottom as the filling is not as well set as some of the others. The crust is nicely crimped but the meringue could be spread more evenly towards the edges.
For these reasons, I placed this class of lemon meringue pies 2,4,3,1