APPEARANCE - 20 POINTS
- soil brushed off, not washed
- bulb firm and compact showing no signs of cloves dividing or missing
- bulb covered with a clean, whitish, unbroken paper-like sheath right to the stem
- 1 to 1-1/2 inches (2-1/2 cm) tops attached
- roots trimmed to within 1/4 inch (1 cm) of the bulb
UNIFORMITY - 20 POINTS
- uniform in size
- if variety has a brownish colour, uniformity on all bulbs displayed
CONDITION - 20 POINTS
- clean, smooth, brightly coloured bulbs with dry necks
- free of disease, insect or mechanical damage, blemishes
SIZE OF HEAD - 20 POINTS
- standard entry is 3 to 5 bulbs
- same number of cloves per head
MATURITY - 20 POINTS
- not green or immature necks or off-coloured bulbs
Official Placings & Reasons
Official Placing: 2 - 3 - 4 - 1
Cuts: 1 - 1 - 3
I place this class of garlic 2, 3, 4, 1
Placing 2 at the top of the class as the cloves in each bulb are similar in size. The cloves are more round than the other 3 entries. The outside skin is intact. They are more eye appealing. The bulbs in this entry could be used to cook with or used for the next years planting program.
Placing 2 over 3 as the cloves and bulbs are not as smooth as displayed in entry 2. The tops displayed in entry 3 do not have a consistent length, bringing it short of the top spot for this class.
Placing 3 over 4 granting that the outer skins are starting to peel off but not as much as they are peeled in entry 4. The cloves are not as consistent as the cloves in Entry 3
Placing 4 over 1 as the cloves and bulbs are open and skin is peeling off. Entry 4 shows more consistent colouring and is complete with all cloves, bringing it over entry 1 for this class.
Rounding out our class is Entry 1, the bulbs have all started to grow shown by the green out the top. The cloves are not consistent in size and the bulbs are not round, we will grant however that this entry is complete and fits the description of the class.
For these reasons I place this class of Garlic 2, 3,4,1.